|Barcelona-Odessa Expedition 2005|
On the 1st of September, the Spanish record man Alvaro de Marichalar (only sportsman who managed to cross the Atlantic Ocean on a water-scooter) will try to navigate from Spain to Ukraine, aboard a tiny water-scooter.
The aim of this unique expedition is to vindicate the founder of the city of Odessa: José de Ribas, a well-known Spanish adventurer and seafarer.
Catalonian aristocrat Jose de Ribas, known as Russian Admiral, Iosip Deribas who founded the city of Odessa in the 18th century (1794)
3.000 nautical miles of solo navigating.
Messina Strait (Italy)
Santa Maria dýi Leuca (Italy)
Athens (Pireas, Greece)
The history of Odessa:
Odessa was founded in 1794 by Spanish Admiral Jose de Ribas.
The flag of Barcelona will be taken all the way to Odessa, and the flag of Odessa will be taken to Barcelona, in order to twin both cities.
1. Vindicate the founder of the city of Odessa: José de Ribas, a well-known Spanish adventurer and seafarer.
2. Make people aware of the need to respect our ocean and nature.
3. Promote sports and a healthy life (against the abuse of drugs and alcohol) The sailor follows always this philosophy.
4. Promote peace and concord.
5. Promote fair play in sports.
6. Help two charity institutions: PROYECTO HOMBRE www.projectehome.com - www.proyectohombre.es and FEFOC (Fundación Prevención Cáncer) www.fefoc.org
Important Notice: both charity institutions, have received a contribution handed by our Expedition sponsor: Fundación RENTA Corporación.
RENTA Corporación (Fundación Privada) www.rentantigua.com
FEVE (Ferrocarriles de Via Estrecha) www.feve.es
CAMBIO 16 www.Camb16.info
Universidad SEK www.sek.edu
Jets Marivent www.jets-marivent.es
UKRAINE INTERNATIONAL Airlines www.ukraine-international.com
NAUTICA PINS (Formentera)
NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC CHANNEL www.nationalgeographic.com